In 1943, Dr Harry Richardson, Principal of the Bradford Technical College, sensed an opportunity. Since his appointment as Principal in 1920, Dr Richardson had persisted with the ongoing quest for university status for the College (see Object 49). However, by 1930, complete discouragement meant he had put the matter aside to await fresh developments.
In 1943, the British government was thinking about plans for improving society once the Second World War was over. Education was key. The progress of the War had highlighted the need for “brains for industry”: a skilled and well educated workforce who could create and manage new technologies. This could not be supplied by the existing ramshackle educational system, which was radically overhauled in the resulting legislation, the Education Act of 1944.
View original post 577 more words